Stephen Piscotty at BAWS 2007
Welcome to the info page for BAWS 2023, the 20th edition of the flagship showcase for Bay Area/Northern California players! We will once again be at Islanders Field, our proud partner since the facility opened in 2018.
BAWS is the longest running showcase of it's kind in Northern California (established 2004) and PBR is the most respected independent scouting resource in all of amateur baseball in the nation. Over 900 colleges and pro scouts have subscriptions to PBR.
Over the years we've seen 48 former BAWSr's reach the big leagues (Marcus Semien, Joc Pederson, Steven Kwan, Mitch Haniger, Stephen Piscotty, J.D. Davis, Max Stassi, Dylan Floro, Kris Bubic, & Joe Ross are a few you may know) and more than 900 former BAWSr's have gone on to D1 baseball (48 per year average!), with hundreds more playing at other four-year level programs. That simply means we've seen a lot of talented kids over the years and have been trusted as contributors on their journeys.
Prep Baseball Report California will once again be scouting and gathering data/stats at BAWS 2023.
Don't yet have a PBR profile? The following link will detail what this entails...
Create your FREE PBR Player Profile
ALL players receive (there simply isn't a better/bigger showcase value):
* BAWS jersey
* Showcase workout (position players)
* Game play (each team plays 3 games)
* Video of showcase workout posted to your PBR profile (pitchers videoed during game at-bats, as well as their warm-up pitches)
* Headshot for your PBR Profiles
* Data/Stats/Metric recorded and posted to your PBR profiles (position velocity via radar gun, 60-yd running time, pop times)
* BAWS 2023 will include gathering of TrackMan and Blast Motion data/metrics (also posted to your PBR profiles) during BP rounds for position players and live pitching for the pitchers. Blast data provided includes hand speed, bat speed, rotational acceleration, and on plane efficiency. TrackMan records exit velocity, hard hit %, estimated distance, % of hit types (ground ball, line drive, fly ball). For pitchers, TrackMan records spin rates of each pitch, movement patterns (horizontal and vertical), extension at release, release height, and zone % for each pitch.
Select players will be highlighted during the event on the various BAWS & PBR social media platforms such as Twitter @BayAreaWS, @PBR_California & @Clemmens_PBR as well as Instagram @pbrcalifornia & @bayareaws - PLEASE GIVE US A FOLLOW
There will be post event follow up including stat leaders, top prospects, the possibility of being in PBR California state rankings, as well as consideration for regional and national level PBR INVITE ONLY events, and so much more. ALL of this for your registration to BAWS 2023!
- Will be scheduled for a two inning outing in one of their team's first two games and if feeling able to come back and pitch again on Sunday, could throw a third inning.
* Note: We know that many pitchers are also contributing HS position players but the idea is to showcase the BEST of what you do. When you sign up as a Primary Pitcher, you will NOT be doing the defensive workout or taking BP or playing as a position player in the games, unless you have gained approval as a two-way player.
- 60 yard dash, laser timed finish
- Batting practice evaluation (8-10 swings recorded by TrackMan and swing data gathered via Blast Motion)
- Defensive workout evaluation at ONE position (unless a second is Ok'd by BAWS Director)
- Fair and equitable amount of defensive field time during game play or simulated game play, both at your primary position as well as other positions on the field as need be. Each player will end the event with nearly identical number plate appearances over the three games.
2-WAY PLAYER (position player & pitcher)
- All that a position player gets plus...
- Will be scheduled to pitch an inning over the weekend, likely in game two or game three for your team. It also possible that you will pitch more than that if feeling able/willing. Will video you pitching as well.
NOTE: BAWS Director Blaine Clemmens needs to approve participation as a 2-way player